作为一个城市职员, you are the bridge between the city and your community, and the role of clerk can vary in different cities.
来帮助所有的市政职员, the 明尼苏达城市联盟 has developed ten core competencies that can help you succeed in your role. Competencies fall under three categories: values, knowledge, and skills — explore them all below!
View a printable core competencies chart (pdf).
Always acting with honesty and fairness and demonstrating the ethics and values of your city.
- Leading by example and placing the needs of your city first while acting in accordance with all laws and policies.
- Ensuring the city complies with the Open Meeting Law and keeping the public informed and included whenever relevant.
Commitment to serving your city and its residents through exceptional customer service and clear communication.
- Practicing effective communication strategies.
- Handling correspondence on behalf of the city council.
团队合作 & 伙伴关系
Foster a sense of shared interest and accountability as you collaborate and coordinate between city council, 市有关部门, 简约的专业人士, 以及地方正规的网络购彩网站组织.
Examples of teamwork and partnership as a clerk include:
- Collaboration principles that leverage strengths and inclusion.
- Fulfilling the role of facilitator and convener of individuals and groups.
- Understanding the respective roles of city staff and elected officials.
Be a trusted leader and understand the history of the city’s decisions and governing board decisions.
- Effective policymaking through listening, prioritizing, and building relationships.
- Being a source of knowledge on important city areas including licensing and land use/zoning.
- Awareness of and adherence to conflict of interest guidelines.
Must maintain a solid records retention and filing system and adhere to important dates, 最后期限, and events that have an impact on business including city budgets, 酒许可, 和选举.
- Maintaining data storage and records retention.
Seek opportunities for professional development, 学习新技能, and staying up to date on sector trends and technology to introduce new ideas and innovative actions within the city.
- Building a culture that embraces innovative ways of getting the work done, 包括技术和其他系统.
- Attending learning opportunities and advancing professional knowledge.
Consistently implementing employee policies and following best practices in the workplace.
Examples of human resources as a clerk include:
- Complying with employment laws, including leave laws.
- Demonstrating best practices in recruitment and performance management.
- Understanding labor-management relations and Minnesota labor law under Public Employer Labor Relations (PELRA).
Financial coordination and oversight of all financial matters in your city by collaborating amongst 市有关部门 and city council.
Examples of financial literacy as a clerk include:
- Ability to prepare a budget and facilitate capital planning.
- 舒适处理采购, 工资, 应付账款, 应收账款, 重新编码, 和协调.
- Understanding what’s required during the auditing process.
Administers federal, state, and local elections. Those who serve as the local election administrator must be trained and certified.
Examples of elections administration as a clerk include:
- Handling candidate filings and notice requirements.
- Following municipal ordinances pertaining to campaign practices and the election calendar.
- Performing ballot preparation and election judge recruitment and duties.
Running official city meetings and maintaining records.
Examples of meeting facilitation as a clerk include:
- Practicing parliamentary procedure and minute taking.
- Creating and distributing the city council packet.